Features in the Proposed Model
The Host Message Parser
One aspect of the design is the Host Message Parser. This module will provide the translation between XML and the native messaging format of the acquirer’s host system. As such, one acquiring system can connect to more than one host by ensuring that a set of translation tables exists for each available host system. These tables also allow for an easy migration between host systems or to a different version of a host message format.
The construction of the Parser is a significant subject for the Detailed Design phase of this project.
The use of a web-enabled interface allows merchants unprecedented flexibility in configuring their settings or reviewing transactions. Some merchants may chose to use the acquirer’s web site directly to fulfill orders from inventory rather than depending on confirmation messages from the merchant.
This interface can be leveraged into the marketing programs of the program or other applications to further extend the functionality offered to merchants.
At the same time, additional enhancements are envisioned but not included in this design:
- In the case of Shopping Cart Orders, the system can store the order fulfillment information of a cardholder and fill in that information when the cardholder places a subsequent order through the same acquirer. As well, this persistence can be leveraged into a cardholder authentication scheme. In such a scheme, a cardholder could enter a username and password to bring up their card information instead of having to enter their card information and address for every transaction they initiate. This feature could then subsequently be leveraged into a server-based wallet scheme.
- Order fulfillment information can be compared to other orders on record. Using fraud detection algorithms, the merchant can be alerted regarding the trustworthiness of the order.
- Demographic profiling can be combined with the buying patterns of customers to help identify potential market niches and promotional plans.
- Recurrent billing would allow insurance companies, utility companies and other merchants who charge customers a monthly fee to automatically process transactions using the acquirer’s system.
- A merchant interface over a secure web connection to the acquirer’s web server would allow event ticket vendors and other phone-order based vendors to immediately process transactions while requiring no or minimal shopping cart software on the merchant site.
- Merchant based reporting would allow a merchant to reconcile their deposit account against the acquirer’s records of processed transactions.